Even more demo means even more framing to replace everything that had to go. Here’s a roundup of what we did.
Since we are expanding the footprint of the kitchen, that meant two new exterior walls. Also, we have to hide a 6×6 post in the interior wall to hide a support for the second story, so we had to rebuild that as well since the old wall was built with 2x4s.
Here’s a shot of the new exterior walls. Where the floor is being replaced shows the size of the original kitchen.
The South Wall
Luckily, this was pretty much one wall out – one wall in. We were able to get everything down and back up again the same (very long) day.
Ugh! This was definitely the most tedious part of prepping for the second floor. The architect designed the second floor to sit like a table top on eleven posts set into the walls in the first floor. The reason for this was to keep as much weight as possible off the original structure. Sounds reasonable, right? We thought so, too. Then we had to start installing those posts.
Basically, each post sits above a new concrete footer poured under the house. (You remember the footers, right?) Each post attaches to a footer by means of a tension tie that has 32 screws into the post and 3/4 inch bolt sunk into the concrete. (Which is why we are now the proud owners of a 36 inch masonry bit.) That is a lot of drilling, gluing, fastening, and tightening. Also, some of the posts are actually two 4×6 posts bolted together. More drilling. More fastening. More tightening.
Above, you can see the whole thing. This one was pretty easy to do because we already had the floor pulled up. (This was in the old bathroom where a lot of the floor had rotted and needs to be replaced.) In the living and dining room, on the other hand, it was quite a bit more difficult because the original hardwood floors are still in place and need to protected. That meant cutting holes just big enough to slip in the posts and snaking the tension tie into place from below. Those were the fun ones.
The whole process involved quite a few trips into the crawlspace to set the bolts into the footers. Here’s me making my way out of the crawlspace for what seemed the the 100th time that day. Thankfully, we got them all done. So, by the time the professional framers arrived, everything was ready for them to get started.