We’d like to be able to show you a ‘before’ picture for the master bedroom, but that isn’t really possible because the master will be going on the second floor. And the second floor doesn’t exist right now, so really it would just be a picture of our attic. Thanks to a bat infestation last summer – nobody wants to see that! (Including us)
But … here’s what that second floor will look like when it finally exists.
We’re are excited about having an actual master bedroom in general since we don’t have one now. But there are some things we are really looking forward to.
- We’ll have a room that fits a king size bed without requiring someone to climb over the foot of the bed. (One of us is REALLY excited about this.)
- There will be a closet that can actually hold all of our clothes. (To be honest, we don’t have tons of clothes, but a house built in 1923 has pretty small closets and not many of them.) Right now, one of us jams everything into the tiny closet in our room, and the other uses a free standing clothes rail pushed up against the wall. Not an ideal situation if we’re honest.
- Two sinks!! No sharing necessary!
- Maybe best of all – a balcony! This was one we weren’t really expecting to get, but during the design process we found that it was possible. The balcony will look out over the pool as well. Hopefully, it will be a nice place to relax after all the construction is finally done. (We’re probably going to need it.)
We are trying to stay a bit truer to the character of the original house on the main floor, but upstairs we feel a little more free regarding design. We haven’t made many decisions yet, but we do have a couple things in mind.
- We’re not sure if we will be able to, but we’d like to try to re-purpose the roof decking into flooring for the upstairs. Obviously, it will depend on the condition, but we’re going to give it a try.
- In an effort to not have doors swinging all over the place, we will probably put in a couple sliding “barn” style doors. Most likely, we’ll end up building them ourselves, but we haven’t really decided what we want them to look like yet. Suggestions are welcome. 🙂
You also can check us out on Pinterest for a look into some of the things that are inspiring us.