We have done many projects over the years. We thought we would share some of these previous projects along the way. This makeover of some IKEA lamps is the first.
We, like just about everyone, have bought our fair share of IKEA items. Sometimes, they need a little pick-me-up, and that is what happened with these lamps.
We started with what you see on the left and ended up with what is shown on the right.
We have two of the same lamps and followed the same process for each to make a matching pair. To begin, we gathered up the materials that we needed and prepped everything. Rabbit fencing that we bought from Home Depot and basket weaving reed were the only things we had to buy. We just made sure that the reed we chose was the right fit for the fencing. We wanted a pretty tight fit, but we didn’t want to struggle to actually weave it. Before getting started, we decided to dye the reed a little because it was too light for our taste. We didn’t have any dye, so we just brewed up some strong coffee and let it soak for a few hours. After rinsing it, we were satisfied with the color, so we were ready to get started.
Once we had everything, we started by removing the paper from the shades. (This necessity came from the fact that we had torn both shades. Then our cat decided to tear them some more. Oops!) We held on to the rings and the braces that held the original shade.
First, we wrapped the fencing material around the rings from the lamp and cut it to size leaving on overlap of 2 inches. We then attached the fence to the rings and attached the edges of the fencing along its length using mechanics wire because that was what we had, and it worked perfectly. The right pliers were invaluable in this process. (You don’t need to break the bank on either of these.)
Next, we were ready to weave. Doing this when the reed is a little damp is best, so we did it right after rinsing out the coffee. We messed around a bit until we settled on the pattern you see on the right. Going into every other hole also made the weaving a bit easier.
Also, as you can see in the pictures above and below, we added an additional row of reed to each section as we moved up the lamp.
We ended up with a finished product that we are really happy with. When they are lit up is when they really shine. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist.)
The next time you end up with an IKEA piece that is damaged or just a little tired, don’t be afraid to try a little makeover of your own.