This week things have really kicked into gear as we are trying to get everything for the professional framing crew. They are coming on Valentine’s Day to start raising the second floor. That means more demo and quite a bit of framing.
The things that still had to go included:
The Roof – We hired a crew to do this. Best money we have spent so far! They spent less than a day and got rid of the whole thing. They even salvaged the rafters (which are hoping to able to use as flooring in the new upstairs) and cleaned up the site.
The Wall of the Old Kitchen – Since we are expanding the kitchen, we needed to remove two walls to make room for the new foot print of the room. You can read a little more about the kitchen plans here. Below you can see where the new wall is relative to the old one.
The South Wall: Losing this wall was definitely not part of the original plan, but we will be moving all the windows, which would mean a lot patches and new holes in the old wall. Since that wall was already pretty out of square, that would have been a challenge. Also, this section includes where the original bathroom was, and there was quite a bit of rot. We decided it was best to just rebuild it so that we can be sure the structure is sound.
The Siding: Technically, this doesn’t need to be done before the framers come, but we had an extra helper on hand this weekend, so he attacked the old siding. Because so many walls needed to be built (or rebuilt), we decided to remove all the old siding. We were originally planning to keep it and just side over it with the Hardie siding. But, with all the new walls with new sheathing, there wasn’t going to be much left anyway. Also, this will allow us to make some corrections and updates to the framing on the walls that we are keeping. Here you can see a little before, well during, and after.
Details about all the framing coming soon!