The framers have been on site for the past two weeks, which has made for some big changes around this place. We have also been working at the same time, so there has been even more progress. It’s definitely been eye-opening for us to see how the professionals get things done – and sometimes embarrassing to have them see how we get things done. But, they have been great models for us, and they have helped us out along the way.
Here’s what they did
- Set the girders for the floor system of the second story.
- Raised the second story walls.
- Set the roof trusses over the second story addition.
- Built the stairs.
- Installed the support posts and beams for the front and back porches. (This included lifting three 27 foot+ 18 inch LVLs. Not light! Check out the video below to see how easy they made it look.)
- Laid the floor joists for the balcony off the upstairs master bedroom.
- Set the trusses for the gabled front porch and the lower section of the first story roof.
- Framed a shed roof over the kitchen/dining room bump out.
- And, of course, sheathed everything. OSB for the walls and 3/4 inch plywood for the floors and roof.
Here are a few shots of the fruits of their labor. You can always check our Instagram for more shots of the progress.
We were lucky enough to be on site ourselves or have a family member on site every day, so everything went (relatively) smoothly. They aren’t quite finished, so they will be back for a few days to take care of some final details.
Here’s what we did
We still had a few first floor walls that needed replacement. The chimney wall had quite a bit of termite damage and some of the wood had been soaked with unpleasant things during our previous bat infestation. (More info on that here.) The smell was still lingering, so we decided to start from scratch.
Also, the new fireplace will be a direct vent system, so the chimney will actually just be a wood frame with a brick veneer. This should save us a bit on brick costs. The framers will take the chimney up to its full height, but we decided to build the lower section according to the manufacturers specifications to get things started for them.
Anywhere we are keeping the old windows in the same location needs to be rebuilt because today’s building code standards require stronger framing. The dining room window is a great example. This is a pretty significantly sized window, which we love for all the light that it brings into the house. But, when we opened the wall, we realized the header was just a pair of 2x4s. According to today’s standards, it should actually be a 2×12!
In the old configuration of the house, the entrance into the hallway from the dining room was the size of a normal door opening. This made for a pretty dark and tight-feeling hall. In order to avoid this, we are expanding that opening. It should end up being about 52 inches, which will hopefully make that space feel less close.
More big changes to come. We look forward to sharing them with you!